BA (Hons) Housing Studies
- Accredited by Chartered Institute of Housing Asian Pacific Branch
- The home course in UK is accredited by Chartered Institute of Housing (CIH)
- Accredited by Hong Kong Institute of Real Estate Administrators (HIREA)
- PMSA specified degree in property management (for PMP (Tier 1) Licence)
- Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) is applicable, 2 years part-time degree for applicants who are qualified for direct entry to year 2
Introduction to the Course
The BA (Hons) Housing Studies is a part-time course addressing both academic and practitioner perspectives. It is in response to an increased demand for courses that meet the needs of practitioners with critical knowledge of a broader array of interlinked professional disciplines and the skills necessary to practice. Graduates can work for housing organisations and facilities and property management enterprises.
Housing is a professional discipline that is increasingly influential on policy aimed at developing sustainable and well managed communities. This course is for prospective students who work in housing organisations either in a professional or voluntary capacity, want to progress as a housing professional, develop understanding of housing and public policy, make a contribution to communities or want to develop your academic skills.
Medium of Instruction
Each module is worth 20 credit points except dissertation (double module, 40 credits). The whole course comprises 360 credits. Each 20 credit points module spans over a semester. There are three semesters per year:
Semester A : September to December
Semester B : January to April
Semester S : May to August
The entire course comprises 360 credit points. The following modules are offered:
|2||Context for Housing Organisations||20|
|3||Leadership in Practice||20|
|4||City and Society||20|
|6||Legal Frameworks and Regulation||20|
|9||Elective Module#： Social Justice / Fire Regulation and Safety in Domestic and Commercial Property||20|
|10||Neighbourhood Planning and Design||20|
|11||Elective Module#： Finance and Accounting for Housing Management / International Field Trip^||20|
|13||Elective Module#： Housing Difference and Diversity / Facilities and Maintenance Management||20|
|15||Elective Module#： Geographical Imaginations / Urban and Social Contexts / Legal Studies for Housing Management||20|
|16||Contemporary Housing Policy||20|
# The delivery of elective modules will be subject to the decision of AIBE.
^ This module is comprised of lectures, tutorials, seminars, external visits and fieldworks. All costs incurred for external visits and/ or fieldworks and/or field trip are at students' own cost, which is not covered by course fee/ tuition fee.
- Completion of Higher Diploma, Foundation Degree or equivalent award in the cognate subject of Housing (for example, property management, facility management, real estate, surveying, public administration, building management etc.); or
- Completion of BTEC National Certificate / Diploma / Extended Diploma / International Advanced Level or equivalent and or
- Completion of Diploma / Certificate or equivalent qualification pitched at at HKQF Level 3; or
- HKDSE results meeting 112 UCAS new tariff points; or
- Mature applicants aged 21 or above with relevant work experience in housing, property management, facility management, real estate, building services, survey, public administration, building management related field will be considered on case-by-case basis. Applicants will normally be interviewed by the Course Leader and applicants should pass the interview.
- AND English language proficiency requirement: HKDSE Level 4; or HKCEE Grade C; or HKALE Grade E; or IELTS 6.0 with no skills below 5.5 or equivalent; or applicants whose first language is not English with post-secondary qualifications wholly taught and assessed in English will be considered and accepted.
Course Fee (2023/24)
|Year of Entry||Original Course Fee||Discounted Course fee||Discounted Amount|
|Year 1 entry (3 years course)||HK$199,000||HK$144,000 (payable in 12 installments)||HK$55,000|
|Year 2 entry (2 years course)||HK$137,000||HK$104,000 (payable in 8 installments)||HK$33,000|
It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognize any qualification to which this course may lead.
The completion of this course and the qualification and/or CIH membership does not infer licence to practice in relation to the Property Management Services Ordinance (Cap 626).
Criteria for holding a property management practitioner (PMP) licence, please go to: https://www.pmsa.org.hk/en/licensing-regime/property-management-practitioner-licence/criteria/
AIBE reserves the right of cancelation of programme due to insufficient enrolment number or special circumstances and the right of granting an offer.
Classes may be scheduled on weekdays evening, Saturdays, Sundays and / or public holidays.
AIBE reserves the right to modify, discontinue or terminate the promotion reward at any time without prior notice. In the event of dispute, the decision of AIBE shall be final and conclusive. For more details, please refer to the Terms & Conditions.